Saturday, October 18, 2008

Leaving on a JetCrowded Plane...Day 1

Twenty Two. That is the number of hours it took us to get to Beijing from Vancouver. We spent the entire day waiting. The line to get checked in stretched across the entire international airport - I have never seen a plane so full. Despite that, mom and I were excited to start our trip.





On the plane, we ended up with the middle seats. I sat next to a large man. He snored and took up the entire arm rest. Mom sat into a person who jittered his leg for the entire trip. We couldn't sleep or move. It was a very uncomfortable 12 hour plane ride. The China Eastern Airline was, I guess, aware of this fact and led the entire plane of passengers in exercise routines.


My first meal in China (at the Shanghai Airport). Little did I know that it would be my best meal in the following week.



Mom completely exhausted and passing out at the Shanghai Airport during our six hour lay-over before catching a flight to Beijing.




Our Hotel. On the plane, I read in my travel book that one could get two very very different experience traveling in China. You could have "China A", where you are treated really nicely, sleep in 4-5 star hotels, see amazing sights. Or, you could end up with the "China B" experience, where you end up in sketchy hotel and get scammed into cheap products and see a very poor and unsettling sight of China. We ended up with China A. Just look at our 4.5 star hotel. (I didn't know they give out half stars.)





Note how considerate they are. Vibrating Condoms for purchase.

No comments: